Monday 18 November 2013

[Recipe] Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Onion

Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Onion
Everybody says you should eat seasonal food that you can find and buy locally, in your neighbours garden if possible. So I decided to do just that. Since I live in a big (disclaimer: the adjective is debatable and depends on the reader's perspective) city (the lovely Ljubljana) and my neighbours don't have gardens (they live in their own crowded appartements just like I do) I chose to go to my parents' house and steal their food. They have a lovely garden and, this time around, plenty of cabbage.



I decided to do my own version of the otherwise quite common sauteed red cabbage with onions. All of these recipes always require a bit of sugar, but I really don't like the sweat taste when it comes to red cabbage. I prefer sticking with the sour.

Enough of talking, to the recipe!

Ingredients:

1/2 red cabbage, shredded
1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 small onion, sliced
1 sour apple, thinly sliced
1 dL (7 tbs) red wine
1 garlic clove
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
salt, pepper and ground cumin to taste

Instructions:
  1. Bring water to boil and add the cabbage. Turn off the stove. Let rest for 5 minutes, then drain.
  2. Melt butter and olive oil over large heat in a pan. When hot, turn to medium and add the onion. Let it brown.
  3. Add drained cabbage and thinly sliced apple (I used the potato peeler to get the evenly sliced pieces).
  4. Pour in the wine, add the spices and the garlic.
  5. Cover with a lid and braise until you think it's soft enough for ya. (I'm more of the 'al dente' type of girl so I braised it just for a couple of minutes.
  6. Finish it up with a splash of vinegar.

Hope you enjoy. Bon App'! 


No comments:

Post a Comment