|Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Onion|
I decided to do my own version of the otherwise quite common sauteed red cabbage with onions. All of these recipes always require a bit of sugar, but I really don't like the sweat taste when it comes to red cabbage. I prefer sticking with the sour.
Enough of talking, to the recipe!
1/2 red cabbage, shredded
1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 small onion, sliced
1 sour apple, thinly sliced
1 dL (7 tbs) red wine
1 garlic clove
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
salt, pepper and ground cumin to taste
- Bring water to boil and add the cabbage. Turn off the stove. Let rest for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Melt butter and olive oil over large heat in a pan. When hot, turn to medium and add the onion. Let it brown.
- Add drained cabbage and thinly sliced apple (I used the potato peeler to get the evenly sliced pieces).
- Pour in the wine, add the spices and the garlic.
- Cover with a lid and braise until you think it's soft enough for ya. (I'm more of the 'al dente' type of girl so I braised it just for a couple of minutes.
- Finish it up with a splash of vinegar.
Hope you enjoy. Bon App'!