Thursday 16 January 2014

[Raw Food Desserts] Apricot Almond Coconut Balls


Even though I'm far from eating raw at all times, when it comes to desserts, I actually prefer the taste of dates, avocado, coconut butter etc. to the old eggs-flour-sugar mixture... That being said, I still mostly bake just ordinary desserts (see earlier posts for proof). Well, it's 2014 and I wanted to make a little present for some of my 'like-to-eat-healthy' girlfriends, so I decided to kickstart my raw food desserts experiment with this deliciousness you can see on the photo above. I present you the Apricot Almond Coconut Balls.

The recipe is really very simple and quick to make. All you need is:

1 cup of dried organic apricots (they really should be organic, cause their taste and appearance are completely different compared to dried apricots treated with sulfur dioxide)
3/4 cup of almonds
2 dates (yes, just the two of them)
juice from half a lemon
cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt to spice it up
a plate of chopped coconut chips

Instructions:

As I've said, it's almost too easy to make these:

Tip No.1: If the dried apricots you are using are not moist enough already (most of them aren't), put them in water for a couple of hours beforehand to soften them up.

Just put everything in a blender and mix mix mix!


Tip No.2: Put the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes before making the balls.

Take small parts of the mixture and make little balls with your hands and roll them in coconut chips, that you crushed with your hands (or properly chopped if you prefer that).
Just keep on rolling! (Anybody else having a 90s reference moment right now?)

Lastly, I made these two very asymmetrical boxes to store and transport my treats.

Two funny little boxes (but made with lots of love!).


So, if you're looking for a healthy dessert without processed sugar, eggs, flour and so on... I dare you to try these!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment